Myron Rush in the now out-of-print The New Leader provides some challenging standards for would-be leaders:
- You must be willing to stand alone.
- You must be willing to go against public opinion for what you believe.
- you must be willing to risk failure.
- you must become master of your emotions.
- you must strive to remain above reproach.
- You must be willing to make decisions others do not want to make.
- You must be willing to say “no” at times, even when you’d like to say “yes”.
- You must be willing to sacrifice personal interests for the good of the group.
- You must never be content with the average, you must always strive for the best.
- People must be more important to you than possessions.
- You will have to work harder to keep your life in balance than people do who are not leaders.